Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Entrepreneurs Everywhere


Being a student at SMU in Dallas, Texas, I can feel the entreprenurial vibe this city omits. My father went to college and graduate school at SMU as well, and he always talks about the "drive for success the SMU student body posesses". He, himself, did not start his own business, but has thrived in his line of business. Once my dad started to compare and contrast the incredible drive that SMU students have versus my brother's Ivy League University, which bred a less competitive student body, I began to really take a look around and see what he's talking about.

When I was a sophmore, I heard about one of my sorority sisters, Kacky Pritchard, who was interning at Kate Spade in New York City. She had also began to design and sell her own clothing at the sorority house and at trunk shows. Kacky now co-owns a store in Dallas called Kacky and Carl. Her store sells fashionable clothing, furniture, and gifts. You can visit her store at www.kackyandcarl.com.

Two other sorority sisters of mine started their own accessory line called Two Olives the same year. Being around peers with such admirable work ethics at such a young age was very motivational for me. It motivated me to go to New York City last summer to persue an internship in fashion public relations, which is my ultimate dream job. With more entrepreneurs surfacing in the business world everyday, I believe that more and more people will be motivated to make a name for themselves at a young age. I know it's already gotten me thinking...

Another good link to find out about more SMU entrepreneurs is http://en.allexperts.com/e/s/so/southern_methodist_university.htm

3 comments:

College Bloggers said...

Angela,
Good personal insight, but needs more to really represent research on a trend. Provide examples and links. Check punctuation.

Unknown said...

you said they "moticated" you instead of "motivated"

Michael said...

I like how you condense a lot of interesting information in a short and concise blog. Probably provide examples from other sites.